Bertolt Hoover is a graduate of the 104th Training Corps, wherein he was ranked 3rd, and is a childhood friend of Reiner Braun.
This article contains heavy SPOILERS. Continue at your own risk, or use the icons above (if any) to switch to another version of the page without spoilers.
|◄ Preceded by|| Bertolt Hoover|
|Followed by ►|
|Unknown|| Armin Arlert|
|Oh, no. None of you have done anything wrong. And you're not devils. It's just that you all have to die. There's nothing you can do now.|
|— Bertolt threatens Armin Arlert|
Bertolt Hoover (ベルトルト・フーバー Berutoruto Fūbā?) was an Eldian, who was born in Marley. As the Colossus Titan, he served as a major antagonist. He was also a graduate of the 104th Training Corps and a former member of the Survey Corps. He ranked 3rd in the Training Corps and was described by others as a weak-willed and quiet person.
He possessed the ability to transform into a Titan known as the Colossus Titan. In the year 845, he and Reiner Braun used their abilities to breach Wall Maria in an attempt to lure out and acquire the Founding Titan for Marley.
Bertolt was a rather tall, slender young man. He was the tallest of all currently known holders of the Power of the Titans, and one of the tallest characters in the series. He had short, dark hair, brown eyes, thin eyebrows and an elongated face. He was seen mainly in his Trainee uniform, and after he entered the Survey Corps, he used their uniform. After his encounter with the Beast Titan, his hair appeared shorter.
As the Colossus Titan, he possessed a very distinctive appearance and a number of unusual features. He grew to roughly 60 meters tall, making him around four times the height of any other Titan seen thus far (with the only exception of Rod Reiss' Titan form).
Bertolt's Colossus Titan form is one of the more heavily-deformed Titans seen in the series - he appeared to lack skin entirely and his jaw and facial structure seemed to be heavily altered from the human form. He was also constantly releasing jets of steam from the surface of its body, in a manner that parallels his frequent nervous sweating. His feet were also quite different to those of a human and other Titans, as they were swollen and pillar-like in appearance. His physiology was modeled after the male sex, but like all Titans, he lacked sexual organs. He had slim and disproportionately long arms in comparison to his head, body, and legs.
Bertolt was a quiet young man who identified himself as someone with a weak will that follows popular opinion. Likewise, his instructor noted him to be a person with great potential, but an utter lack of initiative. He was further described by Eren Yeager as being taciturn, and Bertolt tended to remain in the background unless necessary. By his own admission, he was somewhat of a coward and was noted for his low self-esteem.
His withdrawn behavior initially led to the impression of him being the least emotionally compromised of the three Titan agents. He showed little attachment or remorse over his actions, seeming to care only about his partner, Reiner. However, when confronted by his former comrades and questioned about their friendship, he revealed himself to be far more conflicted and guilt-ridden than it originally appeared. His claims of not having a choice add a further level of ambiguity to his character, leaving many of his actions in question.
He showed great devotion to both of his fellow agents, Reiner Braun and Annie Leonhart, and was easily driven to action or anger when he felt either was threatened. Initially, he showed himself to be wary of others and acted as a voice of reason to Reiner, cautioning him repeatedly about lowering his guard. His interactions with Ymir reveal that while his actions have caused considerable suffering, he was not a cruel person and was capable of showing genuine kindness towards others.
Bertolt did not show complete disregard for the human race and his 104th Training Corps friends. He showed panic and slight tears when he, Reiner, and Annie left Marco Bott to die. When confronted by Armin Arlert, he referred to his former comrades as "cherished friends" and repeatedly stated that they are not at fault. This leaves the impression that Bertolt's reasons for wanting them to die were not personal, and were due to unknown factors outside of their current comprehension or knowledge. Bertolt once more showed sympathy for his old friends by expressing his disappointment in the waste of Armin's intelligence as he dies. He then decided to burn him as quickly as possible to put him out of his misery.
Bertolt underwent a serious change in character at the Battle of Shiganshina. He became detached, indifferent and cold, allowing him to fulfill his savage duty more efficiently. Bertolt remained calm and composed, and did not feel sorry or bad when he told his former friends that he will kill them and all humans inside the Walls because he had decided to do so. He was not fazed by Armin's attempt at manipulating him by bringing up Annie, and told him to have her fed to the pigs for all he cared. He did not feel panic or dread when other Survey Corps soldiers were going to kill Reiner and he had to leave him to himself, and Reiner was rather helpless at that point. He noted how Armin is unable to do anything to him as long as he shakes in fear of his presence.
Bertolt came to accept his villainous self, and rationalized that none of it was his or anyone's fault, but that the world is cruel, and all of it was inevitable. When the blast of his transformation failed to kill all of the soldiers, he expressed his disappointment at his former friends' continued survival.
Despite his calmness fearlessness in the face of death and destruction, he was absolutely terrified of dying himself, as he begged his former friends to save him from the mindless Titan of Armin, then cried and screamed for Reiner and Annie, before being brutally devoured.
Bertolt was an Eldian born in the continent of Marley. At some point in his childhood, he joined the Marley military as a cadet warrior, where he met Reiner, Annie Leonhart and Marcel Galliard. He was praised for his shooting abilities and was selected to be a candidate to the inheritance of the Power of the Titans. Upon acquiring the power of the Colossus Titan, he learned to use its power almost immediately.
He, along with Reiner, Annie and Marcel, began a mission to attack the walled Eldians in the year 845.The main objective of the mission was to steal the power of the Founding Titan and bring it to the Marley government. The day they were about to breach Wall Maria, the Warriors encountered Ymir's Titan while traveling with Reiner and Marcel. Still in a mindless state, she attacked the three boys and nearly killed Reiner. Marcel ended up sacrificing his life to protect his friends, while Bertolt appeared to have fled in terror and possibly abandoned the other two in the process. They later regrouped and were about to abandon the mission, but Reiner stopped them from abandoning it, reminding them the consequence. Annie, enraged, attacked Reiner whilst Bertolt could only look on. After Reiner took the lead and decided that they would continue, the remaining Warriors headed to the Wall and began their operation as they reached it.
Bertolt transforms into his Colossus Titan form at Shiganshina District, terrorizing its population and kicking a hole in the district's gate. The attack leads to falling debris scattering across the town, crushing houses in the process. Immediately after his attack, Bertolt reverts to his human self, while Titans enter the city from outside the walls, resulting in the population being set on by them. After exiting his Titan, Bertolt comes in close proximity with a mindless Titan, but is ignored as it instead entered Shiganshina District. He sits atop Wall Maria, after being carried up the Wall by the Armored Titan.
After the Armored Titan breaches Wall Maria, Bertolt manages to enter alongside Reiner and Annie. During the abandonment of the Wall, Bertolt and the other two forge their family records. Bertolt and Reiner find work as lumberjacks for two years, whilst Annie gathers information inside Wall Sina. Together, they masquerade as refugees from deep in the mountains south of Wall Maria, who learned of the attack at dawn as their village was under assault by Titans, a tale stolen from a deceased colleague. The trio later discuss their discovery that King Fritz and the nobles are puppets rulers and not subjects of Ymir. They then decide to enlist as soldiers, to join the Military Police and get close to the interior.
Eventually, Bertolt enlists in the military academy as part of the 104th Training Corps, with aspirations of joining the Military Police Brigade and living in the safety of the inner Wall. As part of the 104th, he was considered to be one of the best in regards to vertical maneuvering equipment, enough so that Eren Yeager came to him for advice when he was dealing with faulty equipment.
After seeing Eren's determination and desire to join the Survey Corps, he considered himself a coward for wanting to get far away from them. However, Eren encouraged him, saying that after witnessing the attack on his village, no one would blame him for his decision. Eventually, he graduated in the top ten of his class coming in at third place, just under his friend Reiner.
Five years after his attack on Shiganshina District, Bertolt transforms into the Colossus Titan at the entrance of Trost District. He immediately repels the Military trainees on top of Wall Rose with vapor from his high-temperature body and then breaches the gate into the city. As he sets his eyes on the Wall's fixed artillery, the Colossus Titan swings his arm and destroys the Wall's defences. Surviving the assault, Eren launches himself at the Colossus Titan's neck and attempts to attacks his nape, leading to Bertolt dissolving his Titan's body and Eren missing his target. His attack prompts the Garrison to begin the Colossus Titan contingency plan for Trost District, and results in titans entering the city.
Bertolt escapes unnoticed under the cover of steam by using his Vertical maneuvering equipment. Upon reentering Trost, Bertolt takes part in the attack against the Titans. When Armin Arlert, Mikasa Ackerman, and Connie Springer make it to the headquarters, with the help of Eren's Attack Titan, Armin devised a plan to get rid of the Titans in the supply room. Bertolt, part of the second group, came in from the ceiling and killed his target in one blow. The mission a success and everyone resupplied, he and the rest of the group leave the headquarters.
On the way out, he joins Mikasa and others on a rooftop as they watch the Attack Titan being eaten by other Titans. Reiner suggests helping it out, but ultimately it ends up not being necessary as the Titan fights his way out upon seeing the Titan that ate Thomas. After the Titan kills it, the Titan collapses, and Bertolt witnesses Eren emerging from its nape.
Soon after Eren transforms into the Attack Titan to seal the breach in Trost, Bertolt discusses the events with Reiner as their plan is foiled. Their conversation is overheard by Marco Bott, leading to Reiner immobilizing him while Annie removes his vertical maneuvering equipment. As the three abandon Marco, Bertolt looks on in shock as he is eaten by a Titan.
After the ordeal, Bertolt joins the Survey Corps with Mikasa, Reiner, Eren, Connie, Sasha, Krista, Armin, Ymir, Jean and a few others. They all participate to the expedition beyond the Walls. At some point Ymir asks Bertolt about Krista's location but he does not know.
In the aftermath of the failed mission to capture the Female Titan, Bertolt is among the recruits placed under observation at an old mansion and suspected of being a potential accomplice to Annie. When Titans are discovered within Wall Rose, he is one of the soldiers placed on the squad headed sent to evacuate villages in the south.
That evening, the southern squad meets up with Ymir and Krista's squad, and they decide to take refuge for the night in Utgard Castle. At some point during the night, the castle comes under attack by Titans and the recruits are forced to defend the interior from the smaller Titans that have invaded. After Reiner takes off on his own to investigate, Bertolt offers a strange observation of his friend's "bad habit" of risking himself for others. When a Titan manages to break through a stairwell door, he comes to Reiner's defense with a pitchfork and helps fight it off. The two reaffirm their promise to survive and return to their home together.
After a second Titan manages to enter and injure Reiner, he helps Ymir toss it out of a window. Afterwards, he begins to behave in a withdrawn manner, commenting that Reiner has changed and is no longer a "Warrior". However, he refuses to elaborate further on the subject.
Eventually, their superiors are killed by the attacking Titans and the rookies are left defenseless. This drives Ymir to reveal herself to be a Titan, using her powers to protect the others. Bertolt, along with Reiner, are shocked to recognize her as the Titan that had killed their friend, Marcel, several years earlier.
The group is eventually rescued by Hange Zoë's squad and evacuate to the Wall, with the intention of regrouping with their main forces. Injured and distressed over their ordeal, Reiner breaks down under the stress and confesses their identities to Eren while Bertolt watches in growing distress. When Eren tries to tell Reiner that he's just tired and making things up Bertolt agrees, but Reiner tears off his bandage and visibly heals his hand, proving that they are both intelligent Titans. Bertolt, shocked by his actions, asks if they are going to reveal themselves, but before they are able to transform the two of them are viciously attacked by Mikasa.
Critically wounded and terrified, Bertolt transforms into a partial Titan form and begins to attack the soldiers on the Wall while Reiner attempts to kidnap Eren. In the chaos, he manages to capture Ymir and a random soldier, swallowing them both whole. Afterward, he counters an attack by Hange's squad through generating intense heat and steam, burning anyone that gets too close. He remains in a skeleton-like state, burning profusely to prevent any attack against him.
Directly below, the Armored Titan is overpowered by Eren's Titan, and begins roaring. In response, the Colossus Titan topples from the Wall and lands on top of a fighting Eren and Reiner, exploding upon impact. The resulting explosion wounds most of the scouts and allows Reiner and Bertolt to successfully capture Eren and flee the scene. Bertolt emerges from his Titan form carrying Ymir and wearing the stolen equipment of the soldier he devoured. Several hours later, he takes refuge with Reiner and their two captives in the Titan Forest. However, he is mostly silent during the following arguments and discussions, only speaking up when prompted by Ymir or Eren.
Bertolt is greatly distressed by Reiner's strange behavior, and is shown to have known about it long before anyone else. He is able to bring his friend back to reality by reminding him that he is not a soldier, but rather that they are both "warriors".
Eren later confronts him about his role in the death of Carla Yeager, demanding to know what he thought when he learned about the suffering he would cause. He responds with a vague comment about having felt sorry for him, horrifying Eren and leading him to scream at them both.Though Ymir agrees to work with them when offered, Bertolt remains unconvinced and warns Reiner that she cannot be trusted. He brings up the death of their friend, who was devoured by Ymir, though Reiner reassures him that she can be trusted since her only consideration is Krista's safety. Bertolt worries he may be slipping into his delusions again, but is reminded that Krista has value to them since she is a member of the Reiss family and may be able to provide them with important clues. They discuss their mission to find the "Coordinate", and Bertolt expresses his eagerness to go home and never return to the Walls. Reiner responds by teasing him, demanding that he confess his feelings to Annie once they make it home. Bertolt attempts to protest, but Reiner claims his tendency to stare at her gave him away.
The pair notice a signal flare and realize the rescue team has already found them, and prepare to flee. While Reiner subdues Eren, Bertolt confronts Ymir over the death of his friend. She states she has no memory of having done it, but apologizes to him and asks if he hates her. He admits he is not certain, but he can not hold her responsible since none of them wanted to devour humans. He asks how long she wandered as a mindless Titan and implies that he and Reiner may have also spent some time trapped in their Titan forms in the past.
As the group flees, Ymir notices the signal flares and becomes agitated. She demands that they kidnap Krista, and attacks Bertolt when they refuse. They are forced to land in the trees, and she further physically intimidates and threatens Bertolt until they relent. Once Ymir returns from kidnapping Krista, he straps an unconscious Eren to his back and both cling to the Armored Titan's back as he runs from the pursuing troops.
Realizing how close the troops have already gotten, he shouts at Ymir about having delayed them so much. He demands to know what they have been doing all this for, and whether she intends to abandon Krista inside the Walls to save herself. His words get through to Ymir and watches the exchange between the two women intently.
A short time later, Mikasa manages to get onto the Armored Titan's back and attacks Ymir before turning on Bertolt. To escape, he slips down onto the front of Reiner's neck and shouts for him to protect them. In response, Reiner cups his hands around his neck and encloses Bertolt and Eren safely against his neck. Eren, now awake, begins to struggle and ignores all efforts to calm him down. The other members of the 104th Training Corps climb onto the Armored Titan's shoulders and begin to shout at Bertolt in his hiding place.
He initially attempts to ignore them, as Jean Kirstein and Connie Springer alternately attempt to coax him out and confront him over his betrayal. At last, he breaks into tears and yells at them that he never wanted to kill anyone. He confesses to having truly thought of the 104th as his friends, stating that their time together was very enjoyable. Even so, he refuses to surrender and return Eren, stating that "someone has to do it".
Before he can elaborate any further, Hannes screams a warning to the group as Erwin Smith leads a horde of Titans directly towards them. This forces them to retreat for a time, while Reiner attempts to charge through the oncoming horde in his Titan form. It ultimately proves hopeless, and the Armored Titan is quickly overwhelmed by the large group and forced to begin using his hands to fight. No longer protected by his partner, Bertolt is forced to defend himself when the soldiers return in force and attack him. Beginning to panic, he shouts to Reiner that they have to bring Eren back to their home.
He narrowly escapes another attack by Mikasa, and is confronted by Armin, who reveals that Annie has been captured. Taunting Bertolt, he asks if they intend to abandon their comrade and claims that Annie is currently being tortured by the military for information, with great care being taken to ensure she does not die. This drives Bertolt into a rage and distracts him long enough for a wounded Erwin to launch a surprise attack and free Eren. Wounded, Bertolt can only watch in shock as the soldiers begin their retreat.
He remains perched on the Armored Titan's shoulder as it begins to hurl Titans at the fleeing soldiers, slowly healing his injuries. When Eren's power as the Coordinate activates, he senses it and reacts with shock. The partners begin to pursue Eren once freed from the Titan horde attacking them, but this freedom is short-lived. Taking advantage of his new-found power, Eren screams at them to stay away and threatens to kill them. Both react with shock and horror, sensing Eren's power and realizing that it has directed the horde at them once again. Reiner initially attempts to protect him from attackers, but they are quickly overwhelmed and he is forced to fight on his own.
His screams draw Ymir's attention, causing her to hesitate in fleeing with the soldiers. Just as a Titan is about to kill him, Ymir appears and rescues him. The three Titans begin to fight together, while the human soldiers retreat back to the Walls.
The group, exhausted from their two-day ordeal, rest atop Wall Maria while attempting to make sense of things. He questions Ymir about her decision to save his life, and is shocked that her actions were motivated by gratitude for having been saved from her "eternal nightmare". Knowing that she faces an uncertain future when they return with her to their hometown, Bertolt struggles to hold back his tears while thanking her.
Eren later expresses the desire to catch him and make him pay for his crimes, suggesting that he believes they survived.
Two months after Historia Reiss was crowned queen, Bertolt and Reiner encounter the Beast Titan in Shiganshina. After witnessing Reiner's defeat at the Beast Titan's hands, Bertolt quickly pulled Reiner from his battered Titan form as the Beast Titan declared that the rescue of Annie Leonhart could wait until after they had acquired the Coordinate from Eren.
Around the time the Survey Corps departs for their operation to retake Wall Maria, Bertolt and Reiner sit atop the Wall amongst a small camp site they made. The two watch the sunset as they await the arrival of their enemies and prepare to begin their own operation.
When the Survey Corps makes it to Shiganshina District, they begin rushing the gate with 100 soldiers to confuse the enemy. As Eren flies up above the breach in Wall Maria's southern gate, he prepares to transform. Just as this is happening, Reiner and Bertolt watch the corps from an unknown location, equipped with their vertical maneuvering equipment. After a few moments, he sneaked out and hide in a prepared barrel. Later, after Eren battles Reiner, Bertolt has a flashback about Marco's death, showing that Annie, Reiner and himself were all involved. Soon after, Reiner lets out a roar, signaling Bertolt to be thrown in a barrel towards Reiner's position by Zeke.
After seeing the near-dead Reiner, Bertolt abandons the original plan of transforming over the district and jumps out of the barrel. He rushes towards his friend, checking if he is alive, telling him to respond if he is still alive. He then heads towards Hange's squad. When Hange orders everyone to attack Bertolt and Reiner, Armin convinces them to use this opportunity for one last negotiation with them. Bertolt is undeterred by Armin's attempt to use Annie to mislead him, saying she can not be used as leverage against him again. While Bertolt speaks with Armin, Mikasa swiftly appears behind Bertolt, trying to strike him down, but to no avail. After fleeing the scene, he finalizes his resolve and maneuvers higher into the sky, transforming into the Colossus Titan and causing massive destruction to everything and everyone near to the blast.
As the Colossus Titan, he begins to toss flaming houses and buildings around the district, setting nearly the entire city ablaze. He then heads north towards Commander Erwin's position but is intercepted by Eren and the 104th recruits. Eren charges at Bertolt's leg, attempting to stop him in his tracks. With little effort, Bertolt lifts the leg with Eren's Titan dangling from it before sending Eren crashing into the top of Wall Maria with a swift kick. The group charge at him to create a diversion for Mikasa to launch the Thunder Spear at his nape. He emits a searing hot gas which forces Mikasa to retreat and injures Connie in the process. After the group has sought temporary safety, he continues to destroy the district.As Reiner recovers and begins to fight the Levi Squad, Bertolt notes that he was hoping to kill everyone with his transformation, but calmly shrugs it off, saying he is used to such trials. He approaches Eren and Armin, who is trying to wake up the latter, wondering what Armin will do. Seconds later, Eren loses his balance and falls to the ground, motionless. Bertolt, thinking Eren is already beaten, decides to blow Armin away, and unleashes a burst of steam from his body. However, much to his surprise, Armin latches onto his teeth and refuses to let go. He questions what Armin could possibly hope to achieve with Eren already beaten, but decides to finish him quickly and launches one final burst, charring Armin's skin and burning his hair off, sending him falling lifelessly to the rooftops below.
After observing Armin's burnt body, Bertolt moves over to Eren's Titan body, only to find it a hardened shell. He then realizes too late that Armin was buying Eren time to get out of his Titan form and used Bertolt's attack as a smokescreen. At that moment, a human Eren appears from behind, latching onto the Colossus Titan's nape and slicing it open, severing Bertolt's arms and legs, before ripping him out and dragging him down to the roof below where a ravaged yet alive Armin is lying.
After being defeated and dragged out of his Colossus Titan, Bertolt is approached by Zeke and his Titan mount. Anticipating capture, Eren begins to slit Bertolt's throat, but Zeke tells Bertolt that he can not save him this time. When Levi pursues Zeke, Eren urges him to give Armin the Titan injection so that Bertolt can be fed to Armin to turn him into a Titan and save him from death. However, another soldier arrives with Erwin Smith, unconscious but also alive. The soldiers debate who should be given the Titan serum between Erwin or Armin, as Bertolt lies unconscious and at their mercy.
After a fair bit of debating, Levi is left with the decision and finally decides on who to give the serum to. Bertolt awakes to find himself at the complete mercy of the feral Titan of Armin Arlert. He screams, begging his former allies to save him as they watch, tears in their eyes. Bertolt cries out for Annie and Reiner before he is eaten alive by Armin. Armin has a nightmare about Bertolt before he wakes up. He dreams that the Colossus Titan is crying. He is told by Eren that he ate Bertolt in order to stay alive, to which Armin is mortified to learn.
|Highly proficient in various hand-to-hand combat styles and has great potential. But lacks in self-confidence and tends to leave it to others when it comes to showing assertiveness.|
|— Instructor Keith Shadis regarding Bertolt's training|
Bertolt graduated in 3rd position among the trainees and was noted as the best user of the vertical maneuvering equipment among them. He managed to kill a small Titan without the use of the vertical maneuvering equipment. Due to his high-level position, he is also likely to possess other military and combat skills. Furthermore, he had outstanding marksmanship skills when he was a child training among the warriors. Bertolt was also able to defend against and even temporarily overpower Mikasa Ackerman in combat, despite her attacking from behind.
Bertolt Hoover's Statistics :
Bertolt was able to transform into a 60 meter Titan referred to as the Colossus Titan (超大型巨人 Chō ōgata Kyojin?) and was the second largest Titan shown in the series so far. In this form, Bertolt was able to look over the Walls. He was also able to retain his intelligence when he transformed as shown when he targets the network of cannons that line the top part of Wall Rose first as a means to quickly cripple the Wall's defense. The Colossus Titan form, due to its large size, is incredibly slow which made it easy for anyone with the vertical maneuvering equipment to move around him. Like Eren, Bertolt was able to induce partial transformation, as he was able to manifest the upper portion of his Titan form on top of Wall Rose to fight against the Survey Corps and not the entire being, but it is unknown if this was made at will or it was just a mistake. His form was also noteworthy for being able to form and dissolve almost instantly, as opposed to most Titans. During the attack on Wall Rose, he was able to dissolve his Titan form literally within seconds, vanishing before Eren could react. This may be related to his ability to generate incredible heat, as he generated a massive cloud of steam before vanishing. Of all currently known Titans, his transformation had the greatest potential amount of overall collateral damage, enough to cause a flash of unbearably bright light, destroying a large portion of the ground and residential housing areas in the process, and finally creating a giant mushroom cloud-sized explosion to cap it all off. The bright light also throws away all of those in the nearby vicinity far away, forcing them to seek cover from the blast and finally, steam comes off after the transformation is completed.
- Regeneration: Bertolt, like all other Titans, had the power to automatically regenerate any wounds sustained and even entire parts of his body that were lost. This power also extended to his human form, as shown in the fight against Mikasa on top of Wall Rose with Bertolt losing part of his arm and suffering a critical slash to his neck. Later on, in the Titan Forest, Bertolt was seen with his arm regenerated, and his neck fully healed. He also received a deep cut in the chest at hands of Erwin Smith, but he regenerated anyway.
- Enhanced Strength: The Colossus Titan was physically the strongest Titan shown so far in the series due to its immense size and along with the Armored Titan, they are the only ones who were capable of damaging and tearing down the gates of Walls. With a single strike of his Titan foot, Bertolt was able to breach the south gate of Wall Maria easily, damaging nearby buildings in the Shiganshina District. A sweeping motion with one of his arms was enough to destroy all the cannons on top of Wall Maria as well as damage the upper portion of the Wall. Bertolt’s strikes had enough force to similarly damage the upper portion of Wall Rose and create a shock wave able to push back people, wounding them in the process. He was able to stop Eren's Titan form by simply jumping off a Wall and not even in his complete form. This strike was strong enough to also leave an enormous crater in the ground.
- Steam Generation / Heat Channeling: Since Bertolt's Titan form is far too slow to catch more agile opponents with the vertical maneuvering equipment, he possesses a powerful defense mechanism that involves him releasing large amounts of extremely hot and pressurized steam from his body. The steam has enough force to deflect any cables shot from the vertical equipment and burn away or repel close-range fighters. It was shown that Bertolt could sustain the effort of producing large quantities of steam for a timed/limited duration, as seen in the fight on the top of Wall Rose. Although all Titans possess very precise internal temperature control, Bertolt's took this to a new level. Despite the Colossus Titan's high temperature, Bertolt did not sustain heat damage inside his Titan, and aside from the aforementioned steam generation, he was capable of channeling massive amounts of heat into very fine points and weaponizing it. The super-heated air released from its head area was enough to sear the flesh from Armin Arlert's muscles within moments and fuse his vertical equipment straps to his legs.
- Explosive Transformation: Although all Titans generate enormous amounts of heat and energy when transforming, Bertolt takes this to the next level. He can control the energy produced during his transformation to create various effects. For instance, when he attacked Trost, his transformation only caused a wind blast who knocked some trainees over the Wall. However, during the retake of Shiganshina, Bertolt releases a similar amount of energy to a small nuclear device, creating a mushroom cloud of dust and rubble, and also ravaging part of the district and killing a great number of Survey Corps members.
- Instant Form Dissipation: Although all holders of the power of the Titans produce their enormous Titans in moments, and Bertolt is no exception, he is the only one shown able to disappear entirely in moments. It is unknown exactly how he does this, but it is a fast enough process to avoid attacks by Eren Yeager, who had latched onto his Titan's nape and struck thin air when the body vanished in less than 10 seconds.
Colossus Titan's Statistics :
- Reiner Braun - Reiner was his childhood friend, and partner in their mission against humanity. The two were rarely apart, and Bertolt almost always followed along with whatever Reiner decided. However, he was shown to be greatly bothered by Reiner's growing attachment to the others and mental problems. Even so, he rarely spoke up or took any action to oppose Reiner. As he was being eaten by Armin in his mindless Titan form, he screamed out for Reiner and Annie to help him.
- Annie Leonhart - Like Reiner, Annie was a childhood friend of Bertolt's. Reiner suggested that Bertolt had a crush on her, noting his tendency to always stare at her. In response he blushed and offered a weak protest. Reiner said that once their mission was complete, Bertolt would have to tell Annie how he felt about her. When Armin claimed that she was being tortured by the military, he went into a rage and declared that he would kill everyone. As he was being eaten by Armin in his mindless Titan form, he screamed out for Reiner and Annie to help him.
- Marcel Galliard - Reiner and Bertolt's childhood friend, Marcel sacrificed himself to save Reiner and was eaten by Ymir at the start of their mission. Upon remembering his sacrifice, they both vowed to complete their mission and return to their hometown.
- Ymir - He was initially distrustful of her, warning Reiner that she once killed their friend and was dangerous. His fear of her continued to be a major aspect of their shaky alliance, though he seemed to have changed his opinion after she saved his life. Afterwards, he expressed his gratitude to her and was visibly distressed by her willingness to further risk her life by returning to their hometown.
- Eren Yeager - Though friendly, the two were not particularly close in comparison to Eren and Reiner's friendship. Bertolt expressed admiration for Eren's courage and the strength of his conviction to fight even after experiencing the horror of a Titan attack. After graduation, Bertolt appeared above Trost District and breached the gate, and he and Eren briefly fought before Bertolt disappeared completely. After his identity was revealed, he behaved hollowly towards Eren while the other became hostile towards him, calling him a "lackey". Eren questioned what Bertolt thought of his mother's death, as he was directly responsible, and Bertolt said he felt sorry for him. This enraged Eren, and he later vowed to see them both die in the most painful way possible. Eren eventually made good on this vow, personally ripping Bertolt out of the Colossus Titan and leaving him to be eaten by the pure Titan of Armin Arlert. Despite this, however, Eren ultimately did not revel in Bertolt's death.
- Armin Arlert - Little interaction between the two had been shown, though his relationship chart in the official guidebook shows that Bertolt considered Armin a close friend. This, of course, sours once Bertolt's true identity was revealed and he threatened to kill Armin when the latter lied and claimed that Annie was being tortured. He was hostile toward Armin when they faced off in Shiganshina, once again coldly expressed his desire to kill him and all of his friends. He nearly made good on this threat not too long after, as he severely burned Armin with a powerful steam discharge while in his Titan form. Later when Armin got injected the Titan serum and his friends returned to the Shiganshina District, Bertolt's final moments were daunting, having been devoured by Armin in his mindless Titan form.
- Jean Kirstein and Connie Springer - Both alternately attempted to appeal to their friendship and confront him during the mission to rescue Eren. They mentioned several fond memories from their time as trainees, and Bertolt was visibly distraught by their words. When he finally broke down, Bertolt stated he genuinely thought of them both as his friends.
- Previous holder of the Colossus Titan (as a mindless Titan)
- Black-haired soldier
- Moblit Berner
- At least 17 unnamed Survey Corps members
- Carla Yeager
- Samuel Linke-Jackson
- Thomas Wagner
- Mylius Zeramuski
- Mina Carolina
- Nac Tias
- Franz Kefka
- Hannah Diamant
- Marco Bott
- Mitabi Jarnach
- Ian Dietrich
- Numerous counts of Shiganshina District citizens
- Mikasa Ackerman
- Sasha Blouse
- Connie Springer
- Jean Kirstein
- Armin Arlert
- Hange Zoë
- The official site reveals his nickname is "Bertl" (ベルトル Berutoru?).
- He is the only human-controlled Titan so far to be shown willingly eating a human, as he did so in order to obtain the victim's vertical maneuvering equipment.
- The 104th Training Corps made a game of using Bertolt's odd sleeping positions to predict the weather.
- He is one out of the two soldiers from the 104th Training Corps Top 10 that is currently deceased. The other one is Marco Bott.
- His name is Old German in origin, meaning "Bright Strength".
- In the game Age of Gunslingers Online, a special Titan Mode was made as a tribute to the series. The final boss is heavily based upon the Colossus Titan and is fought atop a massive structure. A trailer of this mode can be viewed here.
|We really did think of you as friends!|
|— Bertolt to his former comrades|
|Someone has to do this... Someone has to get this blood on their hands...|
|— Bertolt to Mikasa|