|Survey Corps Commanders|
|◄ Preceded by|| 12th|
|Followed by ►|
Keith Sadies (キース・シャーディス Kīsu Shādisu?) is the head instructor of the 104th Cadet Corps. He is in charge of their training and evaluation to become soldiers. He is the former Commander of the Scout Regiment, being the direct predecessor of the current Commander Erwin Smith.
Keith is a tall and intimidating man. He is bald, with a slightly tan complexion and prominent wrinkles on his forehead. His most notable features are dark circles around his eyes which make him appear more imposing and frightening.
During his years as a Scout Regiment commander, Keith had a head of short brown hair, a gentler face, and a slightly lighter skin complexion.
The stress of being a member of the Scout Regiment has taken a huge toll on Keith. Within the span of a few years, he lost all of his hair and gained dark circles around his eyes indicating that his experiences have tormented him to a certain degree.
As an instructor, Keith deliberately presents himself as imposing, strict and frightening, and because of this most of the trainees from the 104th Squad remain wary of misbehaving around him. He shouts and commands at the top of his voice, putting the trainees into submission and fear.
He is observant and has the ability to discern the character traits of other people by their expressions, mannerisms, actions and abilities, as shown when he gives a character analysis of some of the trainees of the 104th Squad.
In 844, one year prior to the fall of Wall Maria, Keith served as commander of the Scout Regiment, and during this time, the scouts were in danger of losing funding for expeditions. Though dejected by the news, Keith could only accept the impending collapse of his regiment, but an intervention by the ambitious Erwin Smith would see the Scout Regiment saved. Keith expressed shock that Erwin found a way to sway the political field, realizing the frightening potential and genius that Erwin possessed.
At some point in time, Keith would cross paths with Levi. After being able to talk down to his other comrades and being unable to talk down nor "head butt" Levi, he would note that he did not need to meld him any more and from that point onward, people with "that look" within their eyes did not have to go through the Rite of Passage.
In the year 845, Keith, Commander of the Scout Regiment, returns through the Shiganshina District after leading a failed expedition outside the Walls. His surviving troops trudge through the town in defeat, most injured, and are observed from a distance by a young Eren and Mikasa. The mother of one of his fallen soldiers comes to him to inquire about her son. He presents the elderly woman with what little remains of him, only but an arm. Horrified and in tears, she asks him if he served well and aided humanity's cause even in the least bit, forcing him to break down as well and admit that all their missions have ended in failure and that he has nothing to show for all the deaths under his command.
Next day, Keith supervises and instructs the trainees regarding the basic aptitude test, which involved swinging upright with ropes tied to their waists. If they failed at it, they would be sent back to the landfills. Keith decides to sabotage Eren's ODM gear so that he would be forced to give up and not have to fight the Titans. When Eren was unable to perform the stunt, he commands him to keep his upper body up. Eren still was not able to pull it off, so he gave him a second chance the next day.
On the next day, Eren was momentarily able to remain upright, after which he swings over upside down and hits his head. Keith finally decides to allow Eren to join the Military due to seeing the fire in his eyes. He claims to notice that something is off and "presumes" that Eren's equipment might be faulty, asking Thomas Wagner to switch belts with Eren. Eren is easily able to pull it off after that and he praises him for having managed as he did even with a broken belt. Keith muses that Grisha's son has finally become a soldier.
Later, he supervises and instructs the trainees regarding further training involving horse riding, hand-to-hand combat, mobility gear, etc. He is seen commanding and criticizing Armin for his lack of stamina and observes as Reiner helps Armin to carry his load and soon enough, Armin refuses to be helped and proceeds confidently. He keenly observes the characters of each of his trainees and analyses the strengths of the squad.
He notes the following regarding some of his trainees:
- Reiner Braun - He's strong as an ox and has a will to match. But more than anything, he's earned the trust of his comrades.
- Armin Arlelt - When it comes to physical strength, he doesn't measure up to soldier standards. But I hear that in the classroom lectures, he's shown extraordinary imagination.
- Annie Leonhart - The angle of approach of her slashing attack is impeccable... She carves deeply into the target. Personality-wise, she tends to be a loner and has trouble cooperating.
- Bertholdt Hoover - He's mastered every single skill that's been taught... And I believe he has a lot of potential... But he lacks drive and tends to leave decisions to others.
- Jean Kirschtein - He has a deep understanding of the vertical maneuvering equipment and excels at exploiting that skill... He can also take in a situation at a moment's glance, but his personality is like a drawn sword, which tends to create conflict.
- Conny Springer - He has a fine sense of balance and is effective at vertical maneuvering. However, he's got a slow mind and often makes strategic mistakes.
- Sasha Braus - She moves quickly and has remarkable instincts... But she has issues with structure, making her ill-suited for organized activity.
- Mikasa Ackermann - She's mastered every single difficult subject perfectly. Her talent is historically unprecedented, making her the most valuable of them all.
- Eren Jaeger - Though proficient at barehanded fighting, he doesn't seem to have any other skills... But he possesses a sense of purpose that's twice as strong as anyone else's. Through constant effort, his grades have improved steadily.
- According to Hajime Isayama, he remains single because he does not believe he deserves happiness after so many died under his command.