FANDOM


  • You loyal SnK theorists have probably come across this theory. But for the new ones, according to this theory Eren's a time traveler (Not physically but consciously/mentally) and he's sent to prevent extinction of humans(Kinda like X-Men Days Of Future Past). Starting point of this theory is the very first chapter of the manga and first episode of anime. Both named "To you, 2000 years from now". Considering all the names of episodes/chapters are important by themselves, it's an odd name. What does that mean? In the theory, it's a message for Eren from a dystopian future (yes, even more dystopian than current world) where humanity is about to extinct and  key moment that leads to this catastrophe is the time when SnK events occures. 

    Another evidence that support this theory is the dream of Eren. In manga, it's Mikasa with short hair that says "See you later, Eren." While in the anime, it's a bit longer. Eren sees couple of visions. While many of it is up to debate, 2 of them are pretty clear. One, titans' invading inside of the walls. Two, iconic scene of Eren's mother's getting eaten by Smiling Titan. You can say "Hey, what's in the anime does not matter." but let me remind you, mangaka Hajime Isayama plays an active role in anime. He even does things he couldn't do in manga (Like Annie's reaction to reveal of her identity). Either way, one can not deny that, Eren sees the future in his dream.

    Now the theory is explained, let's talk about its flaws. First, if it takes place in somehow 2000 years after from now, there's no possibility of either Mikasa's or Eren's staying alive. As far as we know, both titan shifters and Ackermans do age. Second, name of the episode might be a reference to the real world. SnK world might take places 2000 years after our world. And third, this may be a cancelled scenario. As we know, Hajime was planning on killing either all or most of the characters in the end of the manga but due to the popularity of anime, he changed it. So, this dream or name of episode/chapter might be outdated.

    You can read longer version of this theory from here .

    What do you guys think about this theory?

      Loading editor
    • Manuel de la Fuente
      Manuel de la Fuente removed this reply because:
      19:22, May 18, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • I think Eren's premonitions were just that, premonitions. I have no idea what Isayama is planning for the end of AoT, but I hope he can come up with something less trite than the time traveler that goes back to the past to prevent a catastrophe (ala Back to the Future/Terminator/Trunks/X-Men/almost every story written). One of the reasons I follow AoT is because I trust Isayama's originality and ability to think on unexpected outcomes, so I hope he doesn't disappoint this time.

      About the title of the first chapter/episode, I've always thought that it's making reference that the current events are being told or revealed to someone from 2000 years in the future; i.e, this story happened 2000 years before that person existed (maybe a descendant of Eren).

        Loading editor
    • Manuel de la Fuente wrote:
      I think Eren's premonitions were just that, premonitions.


      That's what bugs me most. Isayama is a disciplined writer. He cares every moment, every character trait, every power. He doesn't do anything he won't explain. So its being just a random premonition is kinda weird. It should be something special. A power maybe. Hell, it may even comes from his father. But still, definitely not a random prophecy just to make people theorise. 

        Loading editor
    • Maybe the story is all Eren's memories. Like, the final chapter ends with him going to take a nice long nap by a tree (the same tree he wakes up by in the first chapter) and Mikasa tells him "See you later, Eren." He closes his eyes, and dreams of how he got to that point; beginning with the day humanity remembered...blah blah blah.

        Loading editor
    • I think "To you, 2000 years from now" means "Hey future generation, this is what happened to us back then" I really don't support this time traveller theory. Isayama is very creative in terms of creating stories and twists and i don't think that he'll do a cliche. 

        Loading editor
    • I have to agree with Leo now, as thinking about everything that's happened, I think it's far more likely that the 'Mikasa' Eren saw with short hair was actually Frieda. Given the whole memory erasure thing with the Reiss family, I think it also explains why he was crying about a 'long dream he couldn't remember.' 

        Loading editor
    • Hiyuusha wrote:
      I have to agree with Leo now, as thinking about everything that's happened, I think it's far more likely that the 'Mikasa' Eren saw with short hair was actually Frieda. Given the whole memory erasure thing with the Reiss family, I think it also explains why he was crying about a 'long dream he couldn't remember.' 

      I neither think she was Frieda, nor it was the reason why he cried. Since: 

      1-) The person we saw had scarf and called Eren by his name. Not to mention, Frieda had long hair (mostly). And why would Frieda know or care Eren? He was son of a basic doctor. She learned about Grisha way later and didn't live much after.

      2-) All of these happened after the appereance of Colossal Titan. That's where the whole theory started. If these things would have been seen after, we could easily say "Part of Coordinate's power". But this was even before Eren got his titan shifter ability.

      About the memory thing, no it can't be just memories because in the manga, Eren asks Mikasa about her hair. So he clearly sees it. If it was just a memory starter, he wouldn't ever talk about it cause, how could he know? These thing hadn't happened.

        Loading editor
    • Doger That wrote:
      Hiyuusha wrote:
      I have to agree with Leo now, as thinking about everything that's happened, I think it's far more likely that the 'Mikasa' Eren saw with short hair was actually Frieda. Given the whole memory erasure thing with the Reiss family, I think it also explains why he was crying about a 'long dream he couldn't remember.' 

      I neither think she was Frieda, nor it was the reason why he cried. Since: 

      1-) The person we saw had scarf and called Eren by his name. Not to mention, Frieda had long hair (mostly). And why would Frieda know or care Eren? He was son of a basic doctor. She learned about Grisha way later and didn't live much after.

      2-) All of these happened after the appereance of Colossal Titan. That's where the whole theory started. If these things would have been seen after, we could easily say "Part of Coordinate's power". But this was even before Eren got his titan shifter ability.

      About the memory thing, no it can't be just memories because in the manga, Eren asks Mikasa about her hair. So he clearly sees it. If it was just a memory starter, he wouldn't ever talk about it cause, how could he know? These thing hadn't happened.

      1) While it's true the person had a scarf, it's entirely possible that this person is the same one who initially gave Eren the scarf that he later gives to Mikasa. Frieda did have long hair, but she is also known to have cut her hair (just prior to becoming a titan for the first time, I believe.) You also have to remember that Grisha is not a basic doctor. He was initially found outside the walls with no memory of who or where he was, and later was acknowledged for saving HUNDREDS from a plague that struck the city. This could have led to him gaining Frieda's interest at some point, although I admit this is mere speculation. The fact that he woke up with no memory means that either A, he had just received the same injection that turned Eren into a Titan and lost his memories as Eren had, or B, he was affected by the Reiss family's memory manipulation power. That latter of which means the family was aware of him from the start. Either way, Eren is not the son of a "basic doctor", he's the son of someone who came from outside the walls.

      2) If I recall correctly, just prior to the Colossal Titan's attack Grisha had mentioned going on a trip and showing Eren what he hid in the basement after he got back. That trip was likely the same one where he ate Frieda and gained the Coordinate power before passing it on to Eren. Since, as you say, Grisha injected the serum, which he told Eren would also end up erasing his memories, into his son AFTER the fall, this means that Eren's 'long dream' is likely to be a memory that had not been entirely erased. This might explain why we see someone who LOOKS like Mikasa, but do not see the face clearly. Given that we're seeing her from Eren's perspective, it's possible he mistook this person for Mikasa, hence the question, "hasn't your hair gotten longer?"

        Loading editor
    • Okay. I admit. Basic doctor was kinda wrong term but as if things you have said are true and Reiss family were aware of Grisha, letting him live without even a seupervision is kinda odd since we saw they were even killing people who searches for the origin of titans(a.k.a. Erwin's father). And when Grisha showed up, they were totally caught off guard. They might have said "Hey, we erased his memory, he's fine." But still, they let a titan shifter live inside the walls without a supervision.

      But yeah, erased memory generally seems pretty decent.

      Now, I lost at the second paragraph.  Are you saying, Eren's dream is a lost memory because of titan serum or it's a lost memory because of a different reason but the effect is same as titan serum's?

        Loading editor
    • Doger That wrote:
      Okay. I admit. Basic doctor was kinda wrong term but as if things you have said are true and Reiss family were aware of Grisha, letting him live without even a seupervision is kinda odd since we saw they were even killing people who searches for the origin of titans(a.k.a. Erwin's father). And when Grisha showed up, they were totally caught off guard. They might have said "Hey, we erased his memory, he's fine." But still, they let a titan shifter live inside the walls without a supervision.

      But yeah, erased memory generally seems pretty decent.

      Now, I lost at the second paragraph.  Are you saying, Eren's dream is a lost memory because of titan serum or it's a lost memory because of a different reason but the effect is same as titan serum's?

      I'm saying Eren's dream is a lost memory because of memory manipulation. More specifically, I'm saying that Frieda erased Eren's memories like she did with Historia. If I remember correctly, when Frieda erased Historia's memories, the result was that Historia could still access them subconscious via dreamsbut never remembered them when she woke up. That's exactly what happened to Eren in the first chapter. He was dreaming about a memory, but forgot what it was about once he woke up.

        Loading editor
    • I'm saying Eren's dream is a lost memory because of memory manipulation. More specifically, I'm saying that Frieda erased Eren's memories like she did with Historia. If I remember correctly, when Frieda erased Historia's memories, the result was that Historia could still access them subconscious via dreamsbut never remembered them when she woke up. That's exactly what happened to Eren in the first chapter. He was dreaming about a memory, but forgot what it was about once he woke up.

      I see. It makes lots of sense when you think about just manga but it kinda gets messy with the anime. Because in the anime, it's clear that he sees future. And yet nothing that happened has ever turned out to be false. 

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, I like to think it was just artistic, but you never know. I'm not entirely dismissing the Time Travel thing, as we're in a world where humans turn into giant monsters and certain individuals can erase memories... I just think that with what information we have at the moment, the "Eren met someone who erased his memories" is a bit more logical than "Eren is from the future."

      Alternatively, I'd say that Eren was "seeing" a possible future as opposed to being sent back from one, but the timing doesn't really fit up with that as it was before he received any Titan power.

      Meh.

        Loading editor
    • Hiyuusha wrote:
      Yeah, I like to think it was just artistic, but you never know. I'm not entirely dismissing the Time Travel thing, as we're in a world where humans turn into giant monsters and certain individuals can erase memories... I just think that with what information we have at the moment, the "Eren met someone who erased his memories" is a bit more logical than "Eren is from the future."

      Alternatively, I'd say that Eren was "seeing" a possible future as opposed to being sent back from one, but the timing doesn't really fit up with that as it was before he received any Titan power.

      Meh.

      I totally agree. Erasing memory is way more realistic than both time travel and seeing future. And I'm totally okay with it if it's explained well. But still, that dream is kinda forgotten among all those "more important questions". This makes me feel, Isayama will catch a number of readers off guard with it.

        Loading editor
    • Doger That wrote:
      Hiyuusha wrote:
      Yeah, I like to think it was just artistic, but you never know. I'm not entirely dismissing the Time Travel thing, as we're in a world where humans turn into giant monsters and certain individuals can erase memories... I just think that with what information we have at the moment, the "Eren met someone who erased his memories" is a bit more logical than "Eren is from the future."

      Alternatively, I'd say that Eren was "seeing" a possible future as opposed to being sent back from one, but the timing doesn't really fit up with that as it was before he received any Titan power.

      Meh.

      I totally agree. Erasing memory is way more realistic than both time travel and seeing future. And I'm totally okay with it if it's explained well. But still, that dream is kinda forgotten among all those "more important questions". This makes me feel, Isayama will catch a number of readers off guard with it.

      Well, no matter what it is, there's only one way we're going to find out.


      BY REACHING THE BASEMENT!

        Loading editor
    • TheDoctorX
      TheDoctorX removed this reply because:
      None of your concern.
      18:41, June 16, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Well, there might be something in the ruins left behind.

        Loading editor
    • TheDoctorX
      TheDoctorX removed this reply because:
      None of your concern.
      18:40, June 16, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Alternatively, what if it's Mikasa who went back in time?

        Loading editor
    • TheDoctorX
      TheDoctorX removed this reply because:
      None of your concern.
      18:40, June 16, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Idk about no time travel but the name of the first chapter sure is peculiar considering the stroyline and is bound to ignite such theories, I suppose. it is interesting to see how would this come to play when the series end or if it would, at all.

        Loading editor
    • Hiyuusha wrote:
      Alternatively, what if it's Mikasa who went back in time?

      Yeah, but that still wouldn't explain Eren's dream. 

        Loading editor
    • what if attack on titan is the dream?

        Loading editor
    • Then Isayama would probably have to go underground and start cooking up an alias.

        Loading editor
    • TheDoctorX
      TheDoctorX removed this reply because:
      None of your concern.
      18:40, June 16, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • What if Eren, at the start of the manga, was going to sleep after everything has already happened, and then the "dream" is him remembering how he got to that point?

        Loading editor
    • Hiyuusha wrote:
      What if Eren, at the start of the manga, was going to sleep after everything has already happened, and then the "dream" is him remembering how he got to that point?

      As  I said before "Eren asks Mikasa about her hair. So he clearly sees it. If it was just a memory starter, he wouldn't ever talk about it cause, how could he know? These thing hadn't happened."

        Loading editor
    • TheDoctorX
      TheDoctorX removed this reply because:
      None of your concern.
      18:40, June 16, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Maybe the "200 years" reference is referring to the generations of memories one gains from the coordiante?  So the coordinate was originally created 2000 years ago and we know within a few years of the beginning of this story Eren will inherit the coordinate and thus have 2000 years of memories added to his mind.

        Loading editor
    • Since we know that Titan shifters can see the memories of the people who had the power before them, the short-haired mikasa Eren sees at the start could have been talking to Eren KRUGER (the person who gave his power to Grisha Yeager who gave it to Eren YEAGER) and Eren YEAGER sees the memories. KRUGER also tells Grisha that he has to infiltrate paradisif he wants tosave Mikasa and Armin, but says he doesn’t know who’s memories he is seeing. So someone before KRUGER could have the name EREN and somehow mikasa and armin knows him and he is the one who mikasa says “See you later” to.

        Loading editor
    • That dosn't explain how Kruger would of known the names of Armin and Mikasa years before they were born. Either Eren's father's memories were getting mixed up with his own OR it was alluding to the fact that titan shifters can have memories from the future too. It's mentioned that shifters all share a time thread that moves forwards and backwards. Insinuating they can send messages to past shifters which also means shifters can recieve information from future shifters.  Similair to Bran from Game of Thrones being able to contact the past from the future and therefore alter it (a show/book Hajime Isayama is fond of).  

        Loading editor
    • Tripper511 wrote:
      That dosn't explain how Kruger would of known the names of Armin and Mikasa years before they were born. Either Eren's father's memories were getting mixed up with his own OR it was alluding to the fact that titan shifters can have memories from the future too. It's mentioned that shifters all share a time thread that moves forwards and backwards. Insinuating they can send messages to past shifters which also means shifters can recieve information from future shifters.  Similair to Bran from Game of Thrones being able to contact the past from the future and therefore alter it (a show/book Hajime Isayama is fond of).

      Oh that's a good point there. Maybe there is a time loop involved similar to Re:Zero if you watched that anime?

        Loading editor
    • Tdfern14 wrote:
      Tripper511 wrote:
      That dosn't explain how Kruger would of known the names of Armin and Mikasa years before they were born. Either Eren's father's memories were getting mixed up with his own OR it was alluding to the fact that titan shifters can have memories from the future too. It's mentioned that shifters all share a time thread that moves forwards and backwards. Insinuating they can send messages to past shifters which also means shifters can recieve information from future shifters.  Similair to Bran from Game of Thrones being able to contact the past from the future and therefore alter it (a show/book Hajime Isayama is fond of).

      Oh that's a good point there. Maybe there is a time loop involved similar to Re:Zero if you watched that anime?

      The time loop theory has been brought up before.  Many people still are trying to decipher if there is some hidden meaning behind the first chapter's title: "To you, 2,000 years from now".  Some people theorize that Eren (or someone else holding the coordinate) sends a message back to Eren causing him to have the dream he first awakens from, in which he is crying.  

        Loading editor
    • Unlikely, guys. That's the only thing to be said of this "theory". 

        Loading editor
    • Fire Eater wrote:
      Unlikely, guys. That's the only thing to be said of this "theory". 

      It's just a theory, A game...I mean Manga/Anime theory!

        Loading editor
    • Does this manga/anime really deserve that kind of heavyhanded thought and speculation? 

      Time loop, it's bogus. 

        Loading editor
    • Fire Eater wrote:
      Does this manga/anime really deserve that kind of heavyhanded thought and speculation? 

      Time loop, it's bogus. 

      Fair enough, then what are your thoughts on how Kruger knew Armin and Mikasa's name? Only to question himself on why he knew those names?  

        Loading editor
    • Tripper511 wrote:
      Fire Eater wrote:
      Does this manga/anime really deserve that kind of heavyhanded thought and speculation? 

      Time loop, it's bogus. 

      Fair enough, then what are your thoughts on how Kruger knew Armin and Mikasa's name? Only to question himself on why he knew those names?

       

      Not a bloody clue, I barely understand Kruger's role in the story. 

        Loading editor
    • Fire Eater wrote:
      Tripper511 wrote:
      Fire Eater wrote:
      Does this manga/anime really deserve that kind of heavyhanded thought and speculation? 

      Time loop, it's bogus. 

      Fair enough, then what are your thoughts on how Kruger knew Armin and Mikasa's name? Only to question himself on why he knew those names?
      Not a bloody clue, I barely understand Kruger's role in the story. 

      His role was to try to give headway to Eldian Revolution although failed he also gave Grisha Yeager a new hope to move on with a different goal to retrieve the Coordinate and stop the Eldian from being extinct. Also Eren Yeager is named after Eren Kruger.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message